Class 3's Topic Page
Summer Term - Topic 5
Our new topic is...
To start our new topic we will be making our own shadow puppets!
As scientists we will:
- recognise that they need light in order to see things and that dark is the absence of light
- notice that light is reflected from surfaces
- recognise that light from the sun can be dangerous and that there are ways to protect their eyes
- recognise that shadows are formed when the light from a light source is blocked by an opaque object
- find patterns in the way that the size of shadows change
Children will be given the opportunity to change their reading books as and when they need to. Please make sure they have their reading books and diaries in their bags everyday, so they can be ready to change their book or be read with.
Group reading will be carried our as a whole class reading session three times a week.
We will read a book together in class each term and the children will also get an opportunity to enjoy reading independently in class.
Our class book is:
by Peter Bunzl
This term our writing will be based on the book 'Fox' by by Margaret Wild and Ron Brooks.
We will be writing a fable narrative and an information report.
This half term we will be covering time, shape, mass and capacity.
To help develop children's fluency in mathematics, we also ask each child to learn Key Instant Recall Facts each half term. We expect children to practise their KIRFs as part of their homework.
Please work on the KIRFs for Summer 2 which can be found below.
P.E will be on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Please ensure that children come to school in their P.E kit on these days. This half term, the children will be developing their handball, dodgeball and rugby skills.
Homework is set every Friday and should be completed by the following Monday. This will include:
- A weekly assignment on spelling shed.
- A task linked to our current topic in their homework books.
Additonal weekly homework:
- Completing a nugget on Century Tech from their recommended pathway.
- Reading at least three times a week.
- Regular times table practice - at least 20 minutes per week.
Children's log in details can be found in their homework books.
Year 3/4 statutory spellings: