Our new topic is...
Mechanisms: Automata Toys
This Design Technology topic will focus on mechanisms as we aim to design, make and evaluate automata toys.
In this topic we will:
- Use research and develop design criteria to inform the design of functional and appealing products that are fit for purpose
- generate, develop, model and communicate their ideas through discussion, annotated sketches and exploded diagrams
- select from and use a wider range of tools and equipment to perform practical tasks [for example, cutting, shaping, joining and finishing], accurately
- evaluate their ideas and products against their own design criteria and consider the views of others to improve their work
- apply their understanding of how to strengthen, stiffen and reinforce more complex structures
- understand and use mechanical systems in their products [for example cams]