Summer Term 1
Once upon a time ...
Our first topic of the Summer Term is 'Once upon a time...' . We will be reading a range of fairy tales and traditional tales. We will focus on the story of Little Red Riding Hood and Little Red by Bethan Woolvin.
Development Matters 2022
Early Learning Goals
Communication and Language
- Listen attentively and respond to what they hear with relevant questions, comments and actions when being read to and during whole class discussions and small group interactions;
- Make comments about what they have heard and ask questions to clarify their understanding;
Personal, Social and Emotional Development
-Manage their own basic hygiene and personal needs, including dressing, going to the toilet and understanding the importance of healthy food choices
-Demonstrate understanding of what has been read to them by retelling stories and narratives using their own words and recently introduced vocabulary;
- Compare length, weight and capacity
Expressive Arts and Design
-Safely use and explore a variety of materials, tools and techniques, experimenting with colour, design, texture, form and function;
- Share their creations, explaining the process they have used;
- Make use of props and materials when role playing characters in narratives and stories.
-Invent, adapt and recount narratives and stories with peers and their teacher;
-Perform songs, rhymes, poems and stories with others
This term our writing will be based on the book 'Little Red' by Bethan Woolvin. We will be writing traditional tale sentences and instructions.
Please read your child's reading book with them every day for 10 minutes. A little often has a huge impact on children at this age. Children need to have their reading books and diaries in their bags everyday, so they can be ready to be read with. We change children's reading books every Friday.
In Reception, we follow the First4Maths scheme of work. This topic we will be comparing mass, counting beyond 10 and looking at bonds to 5 and 10.
Our P.E days are Monday and Friday. Please ensure that children come to school in their P.E kit on these days. This half term, the children will be developing their ball and athletics skills.